Today was equally awesome.
After the excitement of the framing taking shape yesterday, I had the more mundane task of adding the blocking. This is the part that slots between the joists to add support and strength.
I have basically traced the trailer frame with the 2×4’s but as you are unable to ‘end nail’ them together in a straight line, you’re supposed to offset them by 1 1/2”.
(Side note: For those that know nothing about construction, now might be a good time to tell you that 2×4’s (2 by 4’s) refer to the 2 inch x 4 inch pieces of wood you use to build. However, the kicker here, is that they actually measure 1 1/2 inch by 3 1/2 inch)
I made sure the frame was square and then re-measured the gaps between the joists. Then I went to town on cutting the wood.
I marked each piece with a number 1 to 9. I then lay them next to where they should go and checked they fit their respective gaps. (Only two of my eighteen cuts we’re off by a couple of sixteenths.)
I then applied construction adhesive to the ends of each piece along one side of the trailer and then went along and nailed them in. Repeating the process for the opposite side.
Strapping or maybe a nailer?
I think it’s called strapping!? Whatever it’s called, it’s basically a small piece of wood that’s needed to hold something in place.
See, here’s the thing…
When I picked the trailer up, I collected the EPS rigid foam insulation too, to ‘kill two birds’. At that time, I was planning on putting the EPS inside the trailer frame, which was 3”. Therefore, I bought 3” foam.
Since getting the trailer home, I’ve decided to build a floor assembly on top of the trailer, as it just feels better to me for a number of different reasons (perhaps more details in a later blog post). This decision however, now means that I have a 3 1/2” gap to fill, with only 3” foam.
Whilst I’d rather have the full 3 1/2”, I can not buy 1/2” foam, or make the full (7 hour return) trip to make an exchange. I just don’t think it’s worth it. I would get an additional ‘1.95’ on the R rating, making my R rating 13.65 instead of 11.7, but I’m not too concerned.
So I’m gonna work with what I got and decided to make some strapping / nailers (whatever they’re called) to create a 1/2” gap at the bottom of the floor assembly, between the marine ply and the rigid foam.
Making the Strapping
The best option was to buy a couple of pieces of 2×1’s, which I quickly learned how to ‘rip’, which is basically the name given to a cut that involves ‘ripping’ a saw along the long length of wood (against the grain I think).
I don’t have pictures, but I used the special clamps to attach the 2×1 to a 2×4, so that I could rip it down to 1/2” pieces.
I then attached 3” long pieces of wood that measured 1/2” by approx. 3/4” to various spots around the framing to support the 3” rigid foam. The reason they’re at the top of the framing in the picture below, is because, the top will become the bottom once I’ve attached the marine ply and then flipped the frame over to inset the foam.
I am now ready to receive the ply, due in a couple of days, so tomorrow will be a day of research and resting my hammer arm!