It’s been almost a month since my last post, I’m sorry to leave you hanging on so long for a proper update, but I’ve gone back to work for four days a week now and there’s been a few little challenges and ‘time-outs’ as well over the last few weeks.
A Lesson in Patience
First, let me update you as to the roofing situation.
I ended up being just nine inches shy of completing the roof, plus I kinda screwed up one panel. This meant, than I had to order two new roof panels, these should take only a week to be delivered, but things weren’t going to plan and so they took three weeks!!
When then arrived they were damaged, so I’ve had to order them again. As it happens, the guy who was going to help with the flashing isn’t available to help with the roof flashing anyway for another three weeks!
The roof is seeming to take an eternity to complete.
There’s plenty to be getting on with though, so I began working out the window trim.
Moving on to the Trim
Today I completed all the major trim parts on the ground floor of the tiny house.
I decided to go with untreated 1x 4 cedar. Unlike dimensional lumber (the stuff you build the house with) this stuff actually measures 1″ x 4″.
There’s many ways, yet again, that one can do this; angle cuts, fancy over hangs, fancy swirls and different ways of detailing, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible for my first time, so I just went with a squared off window trim. I did allow the sides to drop a little below for aesthetics and water shed though.
Rain Screen Complications
You know, I’m glad I’ve opted to do the rain-screen, as it’s so wet here in Tofino, but it sure does make for some complications. Getting the detail right with the placement of rain-screen with trim and the metal window flashing has been a real challenge for me.
I did find a fantastic PDF that shows some best practices, which includes code, but it still doesn’t show you exactly how to install everything.
Due to the rain-screen, the flashing process is way more complex and involves double flashing at the top and bottom. That means four pieces of metal trim flashing for each window.
It’s likely overkill, but I’m really trying to learn the best practices during this build.
I’ve also added end dams onto all flashing. This is when the ends of each piece of flashing is folded upwards to direct the water away from the siding at the end.
I actually enjoyed this process, it’s very methodical and zen-like. Origami with metal!
You can do corner trim two ways, before the siding, or after the siding.
If you do the corner trim before the siding, then you butt the siding up against the trim and seal with a sealant.
If you opt to put the corner trim on afterwards, then you not only add width to your home, but, if you’re using bevelled siding, then you also create little pockets for bugs.
I decided to apply the trim first and to butt the siding up to it.
The image to the right was taken from finehomebuilding.com a resource that I have found extremely useful during this build.
Wheel Well Trim
I decided to add some trim around the wheel wells. My trailer has squared off wheel wells, which I think makes things way easier than having to deal with a curved arch.
I made small corner pieces for the vertical sections first, then applied the horizontal piece, followed by more metal flashing across the top of it.
I also added a 2 x 4 cedar ‘belly band’, which is the name given to a piece of lumber that will break up the siding.
I will be using cedar shingles on the top half of the house and bevelled 10″ cedar on the lower half. This belly band will make an aesthetic break between the two and allow for an easier transition between the two types of siding. This also has metal flashing above and below.
Burnt out & Balance
Throughout the last few weeks, I’ve had a realisation that it’s better to take ones time when building your first tiny house, instead of trying to rush and cram too much work into one day. So, I took my time over it and have only been working on the house when I actually feel like it.
I noticed myself getting a little stressed when I couldn’t figure things out and the quality of my work suffered for this.
I get frustrated when I don’t know how to do things and no-one else really has the time to show me, so the days I spend figuring things out, seem like a waste to me, but I’m realising now that it’s all a part of the process.
To be honest, if I think about the amount of construction hours that’s gone into the project in the last 4 weeks, it’s probably only been about 40 hours at maximum.
I’m often too tired after work, or I’m stuck on a specific point, but learning to know when you’re pushing too hard versus actually making progress, is key. We all have different thresholds, but I want to build this house with love and in flow, rather than it being forced.
Talking of thresholds, I also built the door jamb and threshold, more on that in another post, and yes, I also forgot, I have completed the soffits…. again more in another post. 😉
Catch ya in the next update.
You can follow more closely on Instagram.